As the current Utah Republican Party Platform is silent on the incredible important, and currently prominent, issue of illegal immigration; the following is presented as a proposed addition to the Utah Republican Party Platform for consideration at the 2008 Utah Republican party Convention on May 10, 2008.
The proposal resulted from discussions with many staunch Republicans and borrowed gratefully from the Republican Party platform of the Great State of Texas, (and Iowa, CA, NV, NC, etc.) and the sentiments of Republican Party platforms since 1880. Please see the articles below for those planks.
- We oppose illegal immigration and all forms of amnesty, or legal status, for illegal immigrants.
- We support suspending automatic U.S. citizenship to children born to illegal immigrant parents.
- We oppose granting government benefits to those illegally present in the US.
- We oppose any temporary or "guest" worker program that would offer an automatic path to citizenship.
- We believe that current laws against employing illegal immigrants should be vigorously enforced, particularly to stem the now too common crime of identity theft in obtaining employment.
This proposed platform addition was first on the agenda at the 2006 nominating convention, but not considered. It was again submitted for consideration at the 2007 Organizing Convention, but deemed out of place as platform consideration are made at Nominating Conventions.
This year the proposal was modified slightly at the suggestion of the State C&B Committee, acting as the Platform committee.