Friday, July 22, 2005

Have we really stopped illegals from getting Driver's Licenses?

Have we really stopped illegals from getting Driver's Licenses? Have we solved the problem of 95,000 illegal aliens with fraudulently issued Utah documents? Have we made our voting integrity more secure?

The regulations remain unchanged for Driver's Licenses. Apparently a Maticula Consular card is sufficient to get a Utah Driver's License.

***comments and BOLD added***
"When you first apply for a Utah driver license, you must provide proof of name, date and place of birth and your social security number. Items on the following lists are generally acceptable as proof. At least one form must be from the list of Primary Forms of Identification."

Primary Forms of Identification

  • Certification of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Delayed Birth Certificate*
  • Driver License issued in the U.S.
  • Foreign Birth Certificate with Notarized Translation*
  • Foreign Passport with VISA stamped on attached
  • I-94 Card of INS I-551 Card
  • Indian Blood Certificate
  • Matricular Consular/ID (issued in Utah only)
  • Resident Alien Card
  • U.S. Birth Certificate*
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad*
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military ID Card or DD-214

Secondary Forms of Identification

  • Marriage License/Certificate
  • BIA/Tribal Treaty/ID Card
  • Medical Insurance ID Card
  • Motor Vehicle Clearance Letter
  • Out-of-Country Driver License
  • Employee ID Badge (with Photo)
  • International Driver License/Permit
  • Veterans Administration Card
  • IRS Generated Documents
  • Concealed weapons Permit
  • Employee Authorization Card (with passport)
  • Court of Record Documents: Adoption, Bankruptcy Decree,Divorce, Emancipation, Name
  • Bank Card ***can be obtained with Matricula***
  • Church Records
  • Credit Card (with photo)
  • School ID (with photo)
  • Professional License
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Selective Service Card
  • Selective Service Reg.
  • Social Security Card ***Remember recent ID theft news in Utah***

Below are the new requirements for a Driver Privilege Card (DPC).

Does this meet the intent of the law? A DPC apparently requires two things - an ITIN (supposedly to indicate "worker" or taxpaying status - and not to be used for ID purposes, per IRS) and two forms of address ID - one filling the requirement could be a "Court order of probation, order of parole or order of mandatory release" which certainly sounds like someone having been involved in, shall we say, "unfriendly" activities. Recently we had identity theft arrests involving illegal aliens; if Social Security numbers are for sale for $20, it seems certain that ITIN's might go for $10. What have we accomplished with this legislation? Have we made Utah safer? Have we caused people to become more law abiding?
Driving Privilege Card
Senate Bill 227 became law, effective March 8, 2005 with the signature of Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. The law provides for a “Driving Privilege Card” for applicants who meet all requirements for a regular driver license, with the exception of qualifying for a Social Security number. The card allows for driving only and is not valid for identification purposes with any government entity.

  • Applicant must provide an individual tax identification number (ITIN) from the IRS. ***fake ones for sale for $20??? Are they verified on application?***
  • Applicant must provide proof of Utah residence address using two different types of verifiable documents from the list below.

In order to verify a residence address as the individual’s place of domicile or an address where the individual resides as a resident, an application for a Utah driver license, Utah driving privilege card, or Utah identification card shall be accompanied by a minimum of two different types of original (current and valid) documents from the following list identifying the individual’s name and residence address:
(a) Property tax notice, statement or receipt, within 1 year
(b) Utility bill, billing date within 60 days, no cell phone bill
(c) Utah Vehicle registration or title, current not expired
(d) Bank statement, within 60 days ***can be obtained with Matricula***
(e) Recent mortgage papers
(f) Current residential rental contract
(g) Major credit card bill, within 60 days
(h) Court order of probation, order of parole or order of mandatory release, must display residential address on the order ***illegal alien ex-convicts on parole are eligible for DPC????***
(i) Transcript(s) from an accredited college, university, or high school

No comments: