Saturday, January 26, 2008

Driver Privilege Card - AKA Illegal Alien ID card

  • HB239 "repeals the use of a temporary identification number (ITIN) issued by the Internal Revenue Service for purposes of obtaining a driving privilege card issued by the Driver License Division;
  • expires all driving privilege cards on December 31, 2008; increases from six to ten years the time period for which an applicant for a driver license must report a license suspension, cancellation, revocation, disqualification, or denial;
  • prohibits the Driver License Division from issuing a driving privilege card; and makes technical changes.
History: The Driver Privilege Card was passed in 2005 by a straight party vote as a compromise to NOT give illegal aliens Licenses. Check out the floor debates for further information - (rather extensive)

The Utah Driver License says it requires proof of legal presence: but allows a "
Matricular Consular/ID (issued in Utah only)" or a "Foreign Birth Certificate with Notarized Translation"
as Primary Identification and an "Out-of-Country Driver License" as secondary identification.

The Matricula card is issued to illegal aliens by the Mexican Consulate.

The Driver Privilege Card 'requires' an ITIN or SSN :

"Positive Identification - When you first apply for a Utah driving privilege card, you must provide proof of name, date and place of birth, resident address, legal presence, (If applicable), and proof of your social security number or ITIN number (individual tax identification number)."

The Internal Revenue Services issues ITIN's "An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX."

Note that the IRS states:

"Are ITINs valid for identification?
No. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. Since ITINs are strictly for tax processing, IRS does not apply the same standards as agencies that provide genuine identity certification."

"Are ITINs valid for work purposes?
No. ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only. Getting an ITIN does not change your immigration status or your rightto work in the United States."

No comments: